This Balsamic Chicken with Garlic Zucchini Noodles is another example of how balsamic vinegar makes everything better. The savory chicken, tender mushrooms, and garlicky zucchini noodles make for a healthy dinner that has so much flavor. Some of my other favorites with balsamic are these Crispy Balsamic Brussel Sprouts and Roasted Balsamic Chicken Thighs and Vegetables.
This easy balsamic chicken recipe is a dinnertime staple in our house. Not only is it quick and easy, it’s something we all love and I have been making for years without the zucchini noodles. However, with summer around the corner, I am trying to cut back on carbs so this time I decided to throw some zucchini noodles into the mix. And we loved it! The zucchini noodles soak up the garlic balsamic sauce and are the perfect addition. Plus it saves you from having to make a side dish.
The major flavor component of this dish is the sauce for the balsamic chicken. It’s made with a simple combination of balsamic vinegar, garlic, chicken broth, and thyme. When they cook down together, the outcome is a rich savory sauce that you will want to eat by the spoonful. It flavors the chicken, mushrooms, and zucchini noodles so that every bite is packed with flavor. It’s important to cook it right in the pan so you can incorporate all the browned bits on the pan. These add flavor and depth to the sauce. And if thyme isn’t your thing, feel free to swap in another herb like rosemary or oregano.
Cooking Ideas for Balsamic Chicken with Zucchini Noodles
- Honey Balsamic Chicken: If you like a sweeter sauce, you can a couple of tablespoons of honey to the pan along with the vinegar, chicken broth, and thyme. It will add a nice touch of sweetness to balance out the vinegar.
- Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes: For some more veggie goodness, add cherry tomatoes to the mix as well. You can add them to the pan along with the mushrooms. They can be added whole or halved. If they are halved they will create more of a sauce since the juices will be released.
- Balsamic Chicken Thighs: This recipe works great with chicken thighs as well. Boneless skinless chicken thighs cook in about the same amount of time as the chicken tenderloins.
- Make it spicy: If you like some spice in your food, add some red pepper flakes to the olive oil or when you add the garlic.
How to make zucchini noodles?
- Spiralizer: The easiest way to make zucchini noodles with a spiralizer. There are so many different types available from small handheld options to larger countertop options to attachments for a stand mixer. Honestly, I have tried all three and use my stand mixer attachment most often.
- Mandolin: If you already have a mandolin and don’t want to invest in another piece of kitchen equipment, you can slice the zucchini into thin planks with the mandolin and then use a sharp knife to cut the planks into noodles. It takes longer but also produces a good noodle.
- Vegetable peeler: If you don’t mind wider noodles, you can make thicker noodles using a vegetable peeler. I find they are a little harder to cook and eat, but they work.
- Store bought: Most store now offer premade fresh and frozen zucchini noodles for purchase. They are more expensive but are fast and easy. Look for them in the produce section or in the freezer.
Side Dishes for Balsamic Chicken
If the zucchini noodles aren’t enough of a side dish and you need some extra heft in your meal, consider adding these side dishes
- Pasta: Often times I will make some regular or whole wheat pasta to mix into the zucchini noodles for the bigger eaters in the family. Just double the sauce so there is enough for the pasta as well.
- Baked or roasted potatoes: During colder months, I almost always make some roasted potatoes to serve on the side. They add a good textural component to the dish and who doesn’t love a crispy, roasted potato. To stick with a low carb option, you could use Parmesan roasted cauliflower.
- Polenta: We have a slight obsession with polenta and it works so well with this dish. The earthy, slightly sweet polenta is dreamy with the mushrooms and balsamic sauce.