Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Lentils is an easy dump and go recipe. Lentils and chicken are pressure cooked with mild salsa verde and black beans to make a creamy one pot dinner. Top it with cheddar, sour cream, cilantro and crunched up tortilla chips for the ultimate Mexican meal.
Get the SLOW COOKER cheesy chicken and lentils recipe here
Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Lentils
Love the flavors of salsa verde? Me too! I wanted to mix things up a bit and try lentils in a Mexican-style meal instead of Indian food or other traditional ways of cooking lentils. And it was a super awesome choice! I loved the way the lentils came out almost creamy-like. The chicken was so tender and moist.
I added in some black beans, cumin and chili powder to give it that Mexican flare. You could serve this in so many different ways. You could eat it plain, serve in tortillas, use it as a dip with tortilla chips, or put it over rice or even quinoa. We just served it in a bowl, like stew, with chips and sour cream on top.
My husband said, “this tastes so much better than it looks!” Ha ha! And my kids ate it happily agreeing with their dad that they weren’t exactly sure at first if they were going to like it. My son said, “it has great flavor!” We all agreed that I should have doubled the recipe so we could have the leftovers for lunch.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Lentils I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Lentils and chicken are pressure cooked with green salsa and black beans to make a creamy one pot dinner. Top it with cheddar, sour cream, cilantro and crunched up tortilla chips for the ultimate Mexican meal.
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 (16 oz) jar salsa verde (I used mild)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips, cilantro and sour cream, for serving
- Add lentils, broth, chicken, cumin, salt, garlic powder, chili powder, salsa verde and beans into the Instant Pot.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 13 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit there for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Open the pot.
- Use tongs to place chicken on a cutting board. Shred the chicken*. Stir it back into the pot.
- Stir the cheese into the pot.
- Serve lentils and chicken plain, in tortillas, as a dip with tortilla chips, or put it over rice or even quinoa. Top with tortilla chips, cilantro and sour cream.
Keywords: dump and go, instant pot
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Lentils? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.