Instant Pot Clam Chowder–a thick and creamy chowder with bacon, corn, potatoes, celery and minced clams. Make it fast in your electric pressure cooker!
Get the SLOW COOKER clam chowder recipe here
Instant Pot Clam Chowder
My 1o year old son has been begging me to make clam chowder for ages. He loves it and likes to order it when we go to restaurants. The janitor at his school, Rick, apparently also really likes it. Skyler begged me to make a batch that he could take to school and share with Rick. I thought that was pretty cute. So I made this Instant Pot clam chowder at 9 am yesterday morning. It turned out awesome! Skyler said that Rick loved it too.
This isn’t a watered down clam chowder with a chunk of something in every other bite. This is a thick and creamy chowder with bites of potatoes, corn and clams. And it has a special ingredient–bacon! In the past I claimed I didn’t care much for clam chowder but I’ve definitely changed my mind after making this recipe.
I got this recipe from my sister, Alicia. She made it for my blog way back in 2010 as a slow cooker recipe. It’s just as good as an Instant Pot recipe. I think you’ll really love it too!
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Clam Chowder I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
A thick and creamy chowder with bacon, corn, potatoes, celery and minced clams. Make it fast in your electric pressure cooker!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup water
- 3 medium russet or yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 (6.5 oz) cans minced clams with juice
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup crumbled bacon (I just used the packaged kind of real bacon bits)
- 3 celery ribs, cut into quarter inch pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- Turn your Instant Pot the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion and saute for about 3-4 minutes, until onions soften.
- Add in the water, potatoes, clams with the juice, corn, bacon and celery.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. Once time is up let the pot sit there for 5 minutes (the display with read L0:05). Then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Warm up the milk and half and half in the microwave or on the stove. It should be warm. Stir in the melted butter. Then very slowly whisk in the flour a tablespoon at a time. It should be lump free. Then stir this mixture into the Instant Pot. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. The milk/flour mixture will thicken the chowder in a few minutes. Stir constantly (for about 3 minutes) so that the bottom doesn’t burn.
- Taste the chowder and then add salt and pepper as needed.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 cup of soup
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 794 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Protein: 16 g
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Clam Chowder? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.