Instant Pot Colorful Wheat Berry Salad–The perfect summer salad for all picnics, potlucks and barbecues. Wheat berries with a lime dressing, black beans, avocados, grape tomatoes, red peppers, jicama, red onion and cilantro. It’s got the crunch, the chewiness and the bright flavors all in one salad.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Colorful Wheat Berry Salad
I’ve been making this wheat berry salad in the slow cooker for a while. I needed to prepare it quickly yesterday so I decided to use my Instant Pot to cook the wheat. It worked magically and the salad was put together within 40 minutes. We served it at our July 4th dinner and it was very popular.
If you have the time you can make this salad ahead of time. The longer the salad sits before you serve, the better. Make it a whole day ahead if you please. The flavors just get more and more married and it tastes better and better.
I haven’t worked much with jicama and before I made this salad I didn’t know what it really tasted like. Let me just tell you that it is essential for this recipe! It has the crisp and crunch like an apple and it’s totally worth buying and cubing. Here is a helpful video if you’re unsure how to peel and cut it.
You might also like…
How to make wheat berries in the slow cooker–where to buy and how they taste
Fruit, nut and wheat berry salad in the slow cooker
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Colorful Wheat Berry Salad I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
The perfect summer salad for all picnics, potlucks and barbecues–wheat berries with a lime dressing, black beans, avocados, grape tomatoes, red peppers, jicama, red onion and cilantro. It’s got the crunch, the chewiness and the bright flavors all in one salad.
FOR THE WHEAT BERRIES:
- 1 cup wheat
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 1/2 cups cubed jicama
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 (15-ounce can) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the wheat berries. Place wheat berries, water, and salt into Instant Pot. Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 30 minutes on high pressure. When time is up perform a quick release by moving the valve to venting. Pour the wheat into a sieve and run cold water over it. Set aside.
- Toss it together. Combine the avocados, jicama, onion, bell pepper, wheat berries (cooked previously), black beans, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and adjust seasonings to taste. Chill at least 30 minutes and up to overnight before serving.
I used soft white wheat berries. But it doesn’t matter too much on which wheat you use. Check the bulk section of your grocery store for wheat berries.
- Serving Size: 1/10 of the salad
- Calories: 176
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 154 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: salad, potluck, picnic, meatless
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Colorful Wheat Berry Salad? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.