Instant Pot Mexican Corn Chowder–This creamy corn chowder recipe is filled with sweet corn, potatoes, chicken, black beans, salsa and cream cheese. This particular chowder recipe has lots of mild Mexican flavors and is family friendly.
Get the recipe for SLOW COOKER Mexican corn chowder here
Instant Pot Mexican Corn Chowder
I have a kid that absolutely loves soup. He is obsessed. So he was thrilled when I told him that we were having this Instant Pot Mexican corn chowder for dinner. He couldn’t get enough and I have to admit I started with a small bowl and then kept going back for more. Today I packed the soup in this lunch crock* for my son and he was so excited to take it to school for lunch!
I really love this chowder and I think you’ll love it too! Add the ingredients to your grocery list and plan to make it this weekend.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Mexican Corn Chowder I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
This creamy corn chowder recipe is filled with sweet corn, potatoes, chicken, black beans, salsa and cream cheese. This particular chowder recipe has lots of mild Mexican flavors and is family friendly.
- 4 cups chicken broth (or 4 cups water with 4 tsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base*)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 3 cups frozen sweet corn
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup picante sauce, divided
- 3 Tbsp taco seasoning, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp cold water
- Salt and pepper
- Topping ideas: cilantro, cotija cheese, bacon bits
- Add ingredients into the pot. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting so that it can start heating up and come to pressure quicker. Add in the chicken broth, chicken, corn, green chiles, beans, 1/2 cup picante sauce, 1 1/2 Tbsp taco seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir. Cut the potatoes and just add them to the top of the soup, don’t stir in, just let them sit on top.
- Pressure cook. Turn off the saute setting. Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the soup button to 10 minutes (or if you don’t have a soup button use the manual/pressure cook button and set it to 10 minutes).
- Pressure release. Let the pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Shred chicken. Add in the cream cheese (it will melt in a couple minutes) and the bell pepper. Remove the chicken with tongs and shred* on a cutting board. Add the shredded chicken back into the pot. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of picante sauce and 1 1/2 Tbsp of taco seasoning.
- Thicken soup. If you want a thicker chowder turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. Combine the cold water and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Mix until smooth. Stir the mixture into the pot. Let the soup thicken, it should just take a couple minutes.
- Serve. Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with desired toppings. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 cup of soup
- Calories: 316
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 807 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Protein: 26 g
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Mexican Corn Chowder? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.